Ceilings

 Ceilings 

Week Seven Blog Post 

Chapter 9 Ceilings 



    Ceiling come in many different forms and materials that a ceiling can take on, one being cathedral and sloped ceilings. Cathedral Ceilings has a slope it creates a spacious space that a flat ceiling does not create. They have issues with lighting options, and you have to consider heating and cooling for the space. Directly applied ceilings are attached to the structure of the building these are normally made out of plaster or wood. Today gypsum wall board can be used in replacement of plaster. This can all be called drywall, it can come in a synthetic or natural source. 


Suspended Acoustical-panel Ceilings are normally installed in the commercial environment. It provides noise control in large spaces as well as allows for duct work like sprinklers and electrical to be above the visual line. There are also many manufactures that create ceiling systems that are recycled and sustainable. 

    These tiles lay on a grid there are three basic variations: exposed T-bar, recessed T-bar, and concealed grid. These determine how much of the metal grid is visible to the eye below. It is also an option to have an exposed structure when a designer does this much attention has to be given to the materials above in order to keep the fire rating at the level that is required. This includes metal and wood structure for rust and fire protection levels. 



    There are also many different ceiling shapes that can be designed but the acoustics of the ceiling must be addressed for the shape in order to create a well-rounded space. Vaulted ceilings tend to be used in a more traditional space and public buildings such as churches, banks, and government buildings. Barrel Vault Ceilings are used to enhance a rectangular space by adding height and form. Domes are also a more traditional shape they provide an emphasis to a space. 



Ceiling Applications 




    A company that I found that was intriguing was Turf; they specialize in creating application for the ceiling that limit noise. They keep the room quiet and usable. They have many products that I enjoyed one being the Drop, an acoustic ceiling baffle. The drop is customizable in size and color making it adaptable to the space you are designing. You can create it to draw our eye in or blend into the material you already have on the ceiling itself this give the designer freedom to create the space they are designing. 


Another application from Turf that I enjoyed was plaid, it creates a grid type structure at the ceiling. This product is also in material that it takes the image of you can make it look like wood beams at the ceiling while its actually working on noise control in a large room or making a small room not fee so condensed. 



    Another ceiling application that I have found is acoustical ceiling panels called Cewood Panels. These are "an ecological, health-safe material that combines high fire resistance with excellent acoustic and thermal inertia properties. Widely used in the interiors of public and residential buildings for ceiling and wall finishing, especially in spaces with high acoustic load, where noise absorption, a healthy indoor climate, and aesthetic, fast results are essential." 

Comments

  1. Hi Anna, I love your blog! I especially love the images you chose for vaulted ceilings. You described these ceiling systems very well. I also love your ceiling applications. The Turf ceiling baffles look very cool, and I really enjoyed learning about them. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anna, I really enjoyed reading your post this week. The images of ceilings you provided were great! I also appreciated the ceilings you researched, especially the Turf baffle product. I think these will come in handy when designing are studio projects. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anna,
    Excellent summary of the material we covered this week. The "Turf" system was impressive. I appreciate that the tiles help mitigate sound. Great study! 50/50 points

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anna, I really liked your post this weekend and the way you connected it to the things we are discussing in studio class. I liked the way you included information about acoustic ceiling tiles and interesting baffles! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Anna I like your introduction of your blog and the images that you choose especially the one about semi concealed and tegular

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Structural Systems

Week One Blog